The Center for Diversity & Inclusion, with the support of the Brigham and Women’s Physician’s Organization and the Brigham Research Institute, sponsors the Family Care Travel Award to assist faculty and postdoctoral fellows who are caring for a dependent family member at home. The CDI believes that traveling for professional meetings is critical to promoting the advancement of early career scholars. For those with familial obligations, the Award will provide financial support to help defray costs such as traveling with dependents, or hiring extra care at home.
Each Family Care Travel Award will be limited to a maximum of $750. A lifetime limit of 2 awards will apply to each applicant.
Family Care Travel Awards may be used for multiple purposes including:
- Travel costs for dependent family member
- Travel costs for a caregiver (not a faculty/postdoc) to accompany
faculty or postdoctoral fellow on trip for the express purpose of caring for dependent family
- Extra care at home during the trip
- Care at meeting site
- Dependent family member and/or caregiver accommodations
Family Care Travel Awards may not be used for:
- Postdoc fellow or faculty member’s conference registrations
- Postdoc fellow or faculty member’s conference travel
- Any other costs that are not for the express purpose of care or travel for the dependent family member
Trips that may qualify include:
- Chairing a session at an academic meeting
- Presenting an abstract
- Being awarded a specific prize or honor
- Doing an oral presentation of an accepted paper or poster
Applications for FCTA are now open!
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
If you have any questions, please contact:
How To Apply
- Family Care Travel Awards are available to BWH Postdoctoral Fellows, Instructors, Assistant Professors, and Associate Professors.
- Family Care Travel Awards are considered equally for MD and PhD investigators, and for men and women.
- Applicants must apply in advance of the trip requiring support and may not receive support for events that have already occurred.
- Only postdoctoral fellows and faculty members who receive their paycheck from BWH/BPO are eligible for this award.
- Support is offered on a first come, first serve rolling basis.
- Support is considered taxable income under Federal Tax Law. To understand the financial implications of this award to you, we encourage you to consult with a private accountant.
- Awardees must provide receipts and/or invoices to receive reimbursement under Brigham/Mass General Brigham policies and must attest that these expenses were used for dependent travel or care.
- Forms and documentation of expenses must be submitted within 30 days of the travel return date.
- There is an annual limit of one award and a lifetime limit of two awards.
Please prepare the following information for your application:
- Conference name
- Date of conference
- Date(s) of travel
- Conference significance to career advancement
- Description of dependent care arrangement
- Itemized budget of expenses for which this award will be used
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
Important Dates and Deadlines
If you have any questions, please contact us at: