The Center for Diversity & Inclusion, with the support of the Brigham and Women’s Physician’s Organization and the Biomedical Research Institute, is pleased to announce the Family Care Travel Award to assist faculty who are caring for a dependent family member at home. The Award will provide financial support to defray some of the costs of traveling with dependents, or extra care at home, while traveling for professional meetings critical to promoting the advancement of early career scholars with familial obligations.
Each award will be limited to a maximum of $750. A lifetime limit of 2 awards will apply to each applicant.
FCTA Applications are open! Apply on a Rolling Basis from 10/15/2018 - 09/09/2019
Family Care Travel Awards may be used for multiple purposes including:
- Travel costs for dependent family member
- Travel costs for a caregiver (not a faculty member) to accompany faculty on trip for the express purpose of caring for dependent family member
- Extra care at home during the trip
- Care at meeting site
- Dependent family member and/or caregiver accommodations
Family Care Travel Awards may not be used for:
- Faculty member’s conference registrations
- Faculty member’s conference travel
- Any other costs that are not for the express purpose of care or travel for the dependent family member
- Trips must be professional and for advancing the faculty’s career. If you have any questions regarding the eligibility of the event you want to attend, please email us.
Trips that may qualify include:
- Chairing a session at an academic meeting
- Presenting an abstract
- Being awarded a specific prize or honor
- Doing an oral presentation of an accepted paper or poster
- Family Care Travel Awards are available to BWH Instructors, Assistant Professors, and Associate Professors.
- Family Care Travel Awards are considered equally for MD and PhD investigators, and for men and women.
- Faculty must apply in advance of the trip requiring support and may not receive support for events that have already occurred.
- Only faculty members who receive their paycheck from BWH are eligible for this award.
- Support is offered on a first come, first serve rolling basis.
- Support is considered taxable income under Federal Tax Law. To understand the financial implications of this award to you, we encourage you to consult with a private accountant.
- Awardees must provide receipts and/or invoices to receive reimbursement under Partners policies and must attest that these expenses were used for dependent travel or care.
- Forms and documentation of expenses must be submitted within 30 days of the travel return date.
- There is an annual limit of one award and a lifetime limit of two awards.
Prepare the following information for your application:
- Conference name
- Date of conference
- Date(s) of travel
- Conference significance to career advancement
- Description of dependent care arrangement
- Itemized budget of expenses for which this award will be used
- Curriculum vitae